(No Fee if No Recovery For Accepted Cases)
You pay no legal fees to us if we do not assist you in getting some compensation or recovery as we agree should we accept your case. The Law Offices of James J. Stone represents people who have been injured as a result of medical malpractice in Honolulu and throughout Hawaii. Medical malpractice occurs when a medical professional is negligent in exercising adequate skill, care or diligence in performing a duty, resulting in an injury or even death. To establish that medical malpractice has occurred, the victim must show the following:
- The health care provider failed to exercise a duty of care; and
- The failure to exercise a duty of care resulted in the injury or death.
Expert witnesses are generally involved in medical malpractice cases to prove the connection between the medical professional’s negligence and the harm to the patient. We have an established network of experts that we work with to evaluate the cause and extent of your injuries.
What is the Duty of Care Owed to the Patient?
The duty of care is the accepted practices of similar professionals or facilities located in Hawaii. Medical specialists are held to the standard of care of the specialty in the same geographic area.
Common Examples of Medical Malpractice
Medical errors are common, and medical malpractice claims often result from:
- Medication errors, including prescribing the wrong medication
- Surgical errors, including operating on the wrong limb or leaving a medical instrument, sponges, or other object inside the patient after surgery
- Failure to properly diagnose or advise the patient
- Prenatal diagnostic testing errors or failure to properly monitor the mother or baby
- Failing to inform a patient of treatment options
- Failure to obtain informed consent from the patient
- Elder abuse or neglect in nursing homes or care facilities
How Long Do You Have to File a Claim?
A medical malpractice action in Hawaii must generally be initiated within two years after the victim discovers or should have discovered the injury.
Experienced Medical Malpractice Representation in Hawaii
Medical malpractice cases are often complex and require the assistance of an attorney who understands and can explain to a judge or jury the underlying medical issues involved. With over 30 years of personal injury, wrongful death and medical malpractice experience, James J. Stone has the knowledge and skill to effectively enforce your rights and ensure you receive the compensation to which you are entitled. Contact the Law Offices of James J. Stone for a free consultation regarding your medical malpractice case.